Skepsis Telecom is a ‘strawman’ patent invalidation company that assists manufacturers in dealing with the many bad European and national patents that have been granted in the telecoms and computers spaces.
It is a fact that, of all of the patents asserted in the so-called ‘mobile-phone wars’, very few survived invalidity actions in the English Patents Court or German Federal Patents Court. As patent-owners usually only enforce their strongest patents, it is safe to say that the vast majority of European telecoms and computer patents are invalid as granted.
Despite the de facto invalidity of most of these patents, they still pose a serious risk to manufacturers because of the shortcomings of the court systems in Europe. The German courts, in particular, do not consider validity fully before granting injunctions. The proposed Unified Patents Court will be able to grant a Europe-wide injunctions without fully considering the validity of patents. This can cause irreparable harm to businesses which cannot afford to abandon key markets such as Germany, let alone the whole EU. As a result, manufacturers are all too often forced to take licences to patents that they neither want nor need. The royalties paid to license these patents may result in higher product prices, and reduced expenditure on R&D.
Skepsis is here to help. Just tell us the patent number(s) that you are concerned about, and we can challenge the patents on your behalf. Our service includes a full technical and legal analysis including identification of any prejudicial pre-publications (so-called prior-art), and the conduct of any litigation.
The benefits for you are enormous:
- Anonymity means that there is no risk of an infringement action against you.
- Your legal costs are immediately halved because you do not have to defend an infringement action.
- There is no case-management, discovery or disclosure burden on you, so you can devote more of your internal resources to real innovation.
- We deal in large volumes of litigation and have negotiated preferential rates with key law firms and expert consultancies, meaning you save even more on your litigation costs.
- AND THE BEST PART, we do NOT charge you for our service. We recover costs from the patent-owner if we kill the patent. If we don’t kill it, we don’t get paid. It’s that simple.
- We can also offer full funding of litigation costs through our relationships with well-known litigation funders. That translates to NO WIN, NO FEE patent revocation.